It is important to note that your sense of smell may improve, may only improve slightly, or may not improve from this process.
For smell retraining there are 4 essential oils that are used to assist in possibly restoring sense of smell. The essential oils are rose, citronel (citrus or lemon), eucalyptus (menthol), and cinnamon.
In order to perform smell retraining you should smell each essential oil twice a day for 6 weeks.
Steps are as follows:
- Place a few drops of the essential oil on a cotton ball or pad and let it sit for a minute or two.
- Bring the pad within an inch of your nose and inhale through your nose slowly and naturally.
- Move the pad away, and then repeat several times with the same oil
- Repeat this process with each essential oil taking a few minute break between each separate oil.
Tips to remember:
- Identify each smell before inhaling each time.
- DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. You may not smell anything at first, but that is ok. It may take time before you begin to smell anything.
- Smell Training – Fifth Sense. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2016, from http://www.fifthsense.org.uk/support/smell-training/