How to Manage Nosebleeds
If you are having trouble preventing or managing a nosebleed, follow the suggestions below.
- Gently blow nose to remove clots.
- Use Afrin (2-3 sprays to each nostril) immediately to help stop bleeding.
- Hold pressure to site of bleeding for 10 minutes without letting go in order to clot site.
- Remain seated in upright position.
- If bleeding persists try the above routine again.
- If bleeding continues, call EMS or proceed to emergency room.
TIPS TO KEEP NOSE MOIST AND HELP PREVENT FURTHER NOSEBLEEDS:
- Use humidifier to keep air at home moist. (If heater is on – humidifier should be
- No fans at night/air conditioning blowing on face.
- Use Ayr Gel or Ponaris nose spray every 4 hours and as needed to keep inside of nose moist.
- If prefer saline nasal rinse bottle:
- Pop off top and pour a little out.
- Use eye dropper, and add 10-15 drops sesame oil to solution.
- Shake solution up to mix well.
- Use 1-2 sprays every 4 hours and as needed to keep nose moist.
- Once finished with saline bottle, do not reuse. Throw away and begin process over for new bottle.