You may have noticed lately that one of your favorite celebrities underwent a procedure to alter the shape of their nose. Though it might look different on the outside, did you know that a nose job (also known as rhinoplasty) has benefits for interior nasal problems as well? Join Sinus and Nasal Specialists of Louisiana as we break down the little-known benefits of nose jobs!
What is Rhinoplasty?
Nose jobs are very common in the Otolaryngology and Rhinology fields as a means of alleviating various sinus/nasal ailments. While some may consider opting for the procedure to alter their appearance, others may go down this path to correct an injury, improve breathing, or correct a structural problem in the nose.
Not all functional procedures are cosmetic; but typically, all procedures are aimed at improving a function even if done primarily for cosmetic purposes.
Common cosmetic alterations include:
- Removing an abnormal growth on the nose
- Straightening the bridge
- Reshaping the tip of the nose
- Increasing or decreasing the size of the nostrils
- Reshaping breathing passages
- Making the nose bigger or smaller
These cosmetic alterations are put in place to treat conditions such as:
- Enlarged Turbinates – Turbinates are the tissues located within the nasal passages that can cause chronic stuffiness when they are unable to properly filter and warm the air we breathe.
- Soft Nasal Cartilage – As we age, our nasal cartilage weakens and may droop which leads to obstructed airflow. Although breathing strips may provide relief for some, others may need to look into receiving a nose job to breathe properly.
- Deviated Septum – If left untreated, an abnormal septum position can lead to a host of sinus and nasal issues. While any inner structural issues are taken care of with a Septoplasty, a Rhinoplasty is usually recommended and performed at the same time as it takes care of the outer appearance in conjunction.
Rhinoplasty with Sinus and Nasal Specialists
Sinus and Nasal Specialists of Louisiana, LLC is a medical practice dedicated to the treatment of allergies, infections, tumors, and other complex problems of the nose and sinuses. Our physicians, Dr. Henry P. Barham and Dr. Christian A. Hall, are board-certified Otolaryngologists (ENT doctors) who have also completed one-year, accredited fellowships in Rhinology.
We are committed to getting to the root of your Sinus and Nasal issues and giving you the relief you deserve.